Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 140 grams of freshly grated carrots
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 full cream
- 70 grams sugar ( Try using 60 grams and only add extra if you think the halwa needs to be sweeter.)
- 4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- 6 or 7 almonds sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardommon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Pour 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter in a saucepan and stirfry the carrot pulp.
2. Cook for 6-7 minutes. The carrots should get soft and slightly darker.
3. Add the milk and cream and cook this on low heat for an hour stirring occassionally. You van use milk on its own but adding the cream just makes the halwa creamier. I rotated my cooking on electric mark 1 and then on 2 until the milk got absorbed. Patience is the name of the game.
4. Now add the sugar and keep stirring the mixture.
5. Add the ground cardommon, nutmeg and half the sliced almonds.
6. Add the remaining melted butter and keep stirring until all the liquid have been absorbed and the Carrot Halwa or Gajar Halwa starts to leave the saucepan sides.
7. RemoveCarrot Halwa or Gajar Halwa to a serving dish.
8. I posted a picture below with no garnishing so you can see how lovely the Carrot Halwa or Gajar Halwa looks.
9. Garnish it with the remaining sliced almonds.
10. Serve warm on its own or with cream or Icecream.