Jacket potatoes are great for a quick snack and I always prefer to make them spicer with a hint of Indian spices. One of the ways of making the potato spicer is to stir-fry all it’s toppings with some spices. Every-time, I make this, I experiment with the spices and condiments. Please use this recipe as a guide but enjoy trying out different variations. (please free to make variations as per your taste and favorites):
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 4 large jacket potatoes
- 2 onion diced finely
- 1 green pepper diced finely
- 1 red pepper diced finely
- 1 can baked beans
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2-3 green chillies
- small bunch of coriander finely chopped
- 2-3 spoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or rosemary
1. Wash the potato and score it in the middle with a sharp knife.
4. Put these potatoes on a pre heated oven – 190 degrees- for 20 minutes.
5. In the meantime – prepare the toppings.
6. In a frying pan, heat a tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the onions and peppers. I stir-fried my green and red peppers separately as some members of my family don’t like very hot food but you can do them in the same pan if you like. Add salt, pepper, soy sauce, tomato sauce, lemon, green chillies and sugar.
7. Once the onions soften, switch off the heat and add the coriander and cumin powder and stir.
8. Warm the sweet corn and baked beans. These too could be spiced up if you like.
9. Remove the potatoes and top them with your favourite toppings. If you like, you can add butter to your potato when you cut it in half. I prefer not to use butter as we have used oil for stir frying the vegetables.
10. Fill your potato with the stir-fry, sweet corn, beans and cheese. If you like melted cheese, just grill or microwave this for a minute before eating. This is what I call Jacket potato with a bit of desi Jhatka,
You may wish to try the following recipes too:
- Pizza using ready made pizza dough
- Jacket potatoes with organic beans
- Beans and Mash Bake topped with cheese
- Curried Baked Beans
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.