Baked beans in tomato sauce were a real luxury for us when we were growing up in Kenya. Sometimes as a treat, my dad would get a couple of cans and re cook them to make them taste more like the curries we were used to. I had forgotten about this until I heard my nephew telling me how my brother cooks the baked beans for them. Then a Facebook friend also told me how she cooks the baked beans to make them hot and spicy. Until recently, I used to just warm the beans in the microwave for 4 minutes and pour them on my toast. I was making beans on toast one evening and decided to cook the beans just like my dad used to and we loved them. Once you have tasted these spicy baked beans you’ll never eat the regular baked beans by just heating them in the microwave.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 1 can of baked beans (415 grams) in tomato sauce
- 1 cup of canned tomatoes or Passata
- 2-3 chopped green chilies
- 1 tbs. grated ginger
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- Bunch of finely chopped coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dhana jiru (ground cumin and coriander powder)
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
4. You can also add onions to the beans if you like. I would suggest adding them first before adding the tomatoes if you wished to add onions to the dish.