These chilly bhajias (marcha na bhajia) can be as hot or as mild as you like them by choosing the right chillies. You can choose the Thai sweet chillies or the Indian hot chillies depending on your mood.
They are simple, easy and very quick to make. They make a great snack but also good for starters as long as you make a variety of bhajias. I tend to make a variety of various bhajis including crispy potato bhajias, onion bhajias and banana, Paneer chilly bhajias. They are also called fritters.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 10-12 large green chillies
- 2 cup chick pea flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Pinch of turmeric
- Pinch of soda bicarbonate
1. Cut and slice the chillies. Deseed them and wash and dry them on a kitchen paper. You can leave them whole as long as you prick them or they may pop when frying. Also leaving the seeds in the chilly may make them too hot.
3. Add a quarter cup of water to this mixture and stir it well. The bhajia batter should be thick at this stage. You can always add more water if you feel that the batter is too thick.
4. Keep this mixture aside 30 minutes.
5. Start to heat some oil in a wok. Turn the heat high, once the oil has heated, lower the heat. Check that the oil is hot by dropping a couple of drops of the batter in oil. If the batter rises quickly, the oil is ready.
6. Add the bicarbonate of soda, together with a teaspoon of hot oil from the wok to the batter and stir well. If the batter feels too thick – you can add a couple of tablespoons of water to the batter.
7. Dip one chilly slice at a time into the bhajia batter and fry these bhajias at medium heat to allow them to cook until they are crispy and firm but taking care not to let them get too dark..
8. Serve them hot with some green coriander chutney or tomato sauce.
Here are some more pakoras recipes in the blog you may wish to try out:
- Mixed Vegetable Pakoras
- Bread and mixed vegetable bhajias or pakoras
- Onion Bhajias – Onion Fritters
- Sweet Potato and Onion Pakoras
- Broccoli pakoras/bhaji’s
- Rice bhajias/fritters
- Sweet potato bhajias
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.