Bhajias in any form or shape are a great favorite in this country. You just have to walk down any street food markets and will see that it has the biggest queue of people waiting to be served. These are made by adding rice to the spiced chickpea batter. These bhajias are my old time favourite comfort food as a weekend snack. It’s perfect for using up left over cooked rice. You can serve them as snacks with any dip. They make a perfect starter too.
Ingredients for 20-25 fritters
- 2 heaped cups of cooked rice
- 250 grams of chick pea flour (also known as besan)
- 1 grated onion
- 2-3 chopped green chillies
- 1 chopped red sweet chilly pepper
- 1 tbls grated ginger
- 2 tbls whole coriander
- 2 tsps ajma (carom seeds)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 2 pinches of soda bi carbonate
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- 350 cc warm water
- 1 litre oil for deep frying
1. Transfer the rice to a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the chopped onions and red peeper, chilies, ginger and garlic
3. Add the spices – salt, pepper, whole coriander,ajma and turmeric.
4. Add the chickpea flour and mix it using the warm water. Go easy on the water as you may not need to use all of it. The mixture shouldn’t be too runny.
Other pakora recipes you may like from my blog are:
- Sweet potato bhajia
- Mixed bhajias/pakoras
- Mixed vegetable bhajias using bread
- Sweet potato and Onion bhajias/pakoras
- Crispy Potato bhajias (Maru bhajia)
- Onion Bhajias -Onion fritters
- Stuffed bhajias
- Maru bhajia
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.