Sambharo is rather like a spicy cooked salad always served up as a condiment to a main meal. It’s usually made with carrots, white cabbage, raw mangoes, raw papaya and hot green chillies – stir fried in oil, mustard seeds and turmeric. It can be served hot or cold. This kind of a salad is my favourite and any leftovers are used as sandwich fillers for my lunch. White Cabbage and fresh Green chillies Salad (sambharo). A lot of Indian takeaways serve a small portion of sambharo with ganthia. Most gujarati thali’s will have a serving of sambharo. Sambharo is always made hot and spicy and served in a very small portion as it’s usually served to give the main meal a hot spicy taste. This is a simple version of the sambharo and it tastes great too.
- 4 cups white Cabbage -shredded finely
- 8-10 small hot green chillies (you can use peppers or jalapenos)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil (or any cooking oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teasppon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan.
2. Add the Mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds stop popping, add the cabbage.
3. Stir fry the cabbage and allow it to be coated with the oil.
4. Add the salt, turmeric and sugar (or not).
5. Stir the cabbage and do not cover it with a lid as the cabbage should remine slightly el dante.
6. Add the lemon, stir and transfer the sambharo to a serving dish. White Cabbage and fresh Green chillies Salad (sambharo) is ready.
7 . You usually serve this as an extra with your main course or with certain Indian snacks such as lamba gathia.
It’s such a tasty dish that you would be forgiven for eating it as a sandwich filling. Other variations of sambharo are also listed in my blog:
- Spicy Salad or Sambharo
- Mango, Papaya, Kenyan chillies and mixed vegetables – tropical hot sambharo
- Sambharo – Stir fry Carrots, Cabbage, Bramley apples and chillies
- Farari Sambharo ( Stir fry sweet potatoes and chilies)
- Raw papaya and chilies Stir fry called sambharo (Papaya no sambharo)
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs. All the recipes have been tried, tested and are easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.