As I mentioned in my earlier recipes of sambharo – such quick and easy stir fries are rustled up in Gujarati kitchens as an accompaniment with any Indian meal. The basic ingredients of any sambharo are hot green chillies added to either carrots, white cabbage, papaya or raw mangoes. I made this papaya stirfry to serve with another Gujarati speciality called ganthia. Jalebi, Ganthia and sambharo and hot fried chilies is a regular Sunday brunch in most Gujarati homes.
Ingredients for 4-6 servings as a side dish
- 3 cups of chopped and sliced raw pawpaw (papaya).
- 6-8 hot sliced chillies (Remove the stem and slice the chillies into 2. Wash and remove the seeds.) Note: you can use less if you wish to make this milder
- 2-3 colourful sweet thai chillies – sliced lenghth wise.
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2-3 tbls sunflower oil
- 1 tbls lemon juice
1. Heat a shallow frying pan and add the oil. I used this Prestige non stick Appachatti pan which I was sent as a sample to try out. It’s size and shape are perfect for cooking the sambharo with less oil. It’s lid fits perfectly so it retains all the flavours of any food you cook in this pan.
3. Cover the dish and allow it to cook for 5-6 minutes like you would a stir fry – allowing the papaya to brown a little. You do not add water to this dish. As the pan is non stick, it browns the papaya lightly without burning it. Once the papaya softens, add some lemon juice and serve the sambharo.
4. Serve this stir fried sambharo as a condiment or side dish with any Indian meal. I served it with gathias.
Would you eat a spicy sandwich for lunch?
Other variations of sambharo are also listed in my blog:
- Spicy Salad or Sambharo
- Mango, Papaya, Kenyan chillies and mixed vegetables – tropical hot sambharo
- White Cabbage and fresh Green chillies Salad (sambharo)
- Farari Sambharo ( Stir fry sweet potatoes and chilies)
- Sambharo – Stir fry Carrots, Cabbage, Bramley apples and chillies
- Apple, Papaya and Pear Spicy Warm Salad – sambharo
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs. All the recipes have been tried, tested and are easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.