How do you prepare valor for cooking?
Preparing valor is a bit similar to shelling peas. You pop open the valor pod and use the kidney shaped seeds as well as the outer green shell. The bean is stringy so you need to cut the stork and pull the stringy part down the bean as shown below. Y ou then just use your hands to split the bean in two and then cut the bean into small manageable pieces.
What is Fenugreek?
Fenugreek is a herb and it’s seeds are often used by mums as home remedies. The fenugreek seeds are ground and added to special sweets made for nursing mums as its helps with breast milk production. New mums are also fed this curry with extra fresh fenugreek as it’s got lots of herbal goodness. They are also added to oil during the tempering of curries. More information about the goodness of fenugreek is here.
What sort of fenugreek should I use?
In this curry, I have used the fresh green fenugreek but you can also use frozen fenugreek for this recipe. When using fresh fenugreek, use all the leaves and part of the fresh stems too as they are full of flavour and goodness. If you have not used fresh fenugreek then watch this video to see how to prepare it ready to wash and use.
- 2 cups of valor( Dolichos Lablab or Hyacinth bean) prepared into small pieces. See here how to prepare valor.
- 1 medium sized aubergine cut into cubes.
- half a cup of fresh chopped methi (fenugreek)
- 10 muthias (muthiya) (you can use more if you like) Recipe for muthias is here
- one cup of passata ( you can use canned tomatoes if you wish)
- 3-4 cloves garlic which should be really crushed finely
- 2 tbls cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- chilly powder to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbls lemon juice (optional)
You may wish to try the following recipes from my blog:
- Potatoes and fresh green fenugreek in tomato sauce
- Potato and fenugreek curry with chick pea flour (Besan vale Aloo)
- Fenugreek and fresh Aubergine curry (methi ringna nu shak)
- Aubergine, fenugreek and dumplings curry – Ringna, methi ne muthiya nu shak
- Gujarati Undhiyu with Muthias Dumplings
- Muthiya or Fenugreek Dumplings to add to Gujarati Undhiyu
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.