I got the idea of making these cute looking pendas by following my friend Nayna Kanabar’s recipe. I made a slight change to her recipe by adding a small amount of ghee and milk. This is a quick recipe which produces excellent penda. Do check out Nayna’s blog simply food for exciting recipes.
Ingredients for 15 -20 pendas
- 250 gms Milk Powder
- 250 grams condensed caramel milk
- 2 tbls ghee or melted butter
- 2-3 tbls milk
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- pinch or two saffron
- grated almonds plus 10-14 sliced almonds
1. Soak the saffron in the milk for about 5 minutes.
2. This is the first time I used the condensed caramel milk so I was very surprised to see how rich and thick it was. In a microwave dish, add the milk powder, the condensed milk, the ghee, the milk, nutmeg, cardamom, the saffron with the milk and the grated almonds. Mix all this together and cook it in the microwave (750 watts) for 6 minutes – stirring every two minutes.
3. After 6 minutes, allow the mixture to cool sightly.
4. Once you are able to handle the mixture, shape them using cookie cutters on to a parchment paper. Top them with sliced almonds and have a taste of your caramel pendas.
5. If you prefer the traditional round penda shapes – you can just divide the mixture into small balls, add a sliced almond to the top and press them down using the back of a decorative bowl to get the shape of your caramel pendas.