Shrikand is one of those easy to make desserts which can be eaten as a snack or served as a dessert. You can use any fruit to add to the shrikand.
What is the best yogurt to use for shrikand?
I prefer to use homemade yogurt but you can also use any thick Greek Style yogurt.
Do I need to add any cream to Shrikand?
It’s not necessary to add cream but I have used double cream in this recipe to give it a creamy texture.
How do you garnish Shrikand?
You can use any nuts or fruit for garnishing
What is the best way of serving Shrikand?
Traditionally, it’s served with deep fried puris
- One carton of 500 gms Greek style yoghurt (you can use home made yogurt too) . Vegans can use soya yogurt.
- 100 mls carton of double cream ( vegans can use vegan cream like Elmlea)
- 8-10 teaspoons sugar or sugar substitute (adjust to your taste)
- handful of almonds sliced thinly
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- pinch of saffron
- pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 8-10 strawberries
- Take a clean muslin cloth and transfer the yoghurt into it and tie a knot to the cloth and leave it in a colander for at least 3-4 hours. This will remove the whey and leave us with a thick hung yogurt.
2. Transfer the double cream and sugar to the food processor and mix until the cream thickens. Add the strained yogurt and mix again. The shrikand will become really creamy and soft.
3. Transfer this to a bowl and add the cardamom, nutmeg and saffron to the shrikand. Finally add half the almonds to the shrikand.
4. Transfer this to the fridge to cool for a couple of hours. Garnish with slices strawberries and serve with any curry and soft puris.
Variations of other Shrikand recipes are from my blog are listed below:
- Traditional Shrikand
- Vegan shrikand
- Pineapple shrikand
- Mango shrikand
- Shrikand using curd cheese
- Strawberry and mascarpone shrikand
- Mascorpone, Quark and double cream shrikand
- Strawberry, hung yogurt and mascarpone parfait (shrikand) .
- Strawberries with mascorpone cheese shrikand
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.