We all have a sweet tooh in the family and don’t need an excuse for making desserts. Last month we celebrated my husband’s birthday quietly with family. It’s traditional for us to make something sweet on the day and I managed to make these pendas at the last minute this time using whatever ingredients I had in my cupboard. The main two ingredients needed are milk powder and sugar. Instead of sugar I used caramel flavour condensed milk which adds the flavour as well as the sweetness. The condenced milk can be too sweet so I added some dessicated coconut to balance the flavours and give Bounty like taste to the pendas. ( FYI: Bounty is a chocolate bar sold in UK and probably round the World. The chocolate bar has a coconut filling coated with chocolate.)
1 can (397gms ) carnation caramel condensed milk
400 grams milk powder
3 tbls ghee
100 grams desiccated coconut
200 mls milk
2-3 pinches of saffron
1 tsp ground cardamom
10-12 almonds grated or sliced small to top the pendas
- Transfer all the ingredients (apart from the almonds) in a large microwave dish.
2. Mix everything all with a spatula and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes and stir. Keep doing this for 12 minutes.
3. Spread the mixture in the bowl and allow it to cool for 2 hours when it will become manageable to form shapes. (This would depend on the weather. Do keep checking).
4. Once cool, shape the pendas in any shape you like. I used a mould for half the mixture and and make small balls with half. I just flattened the balls with the back of a decorative bowl.
5. These pendas should be stored in an airtight container and will be fine for a week.
I have variations of penda recipes in my blog. Do check out the following:
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.