I have never been a big fan of wraps or sandwiches as I find some of the vegetarian and vegan fillings are very bland and boring. I usually make this quick stir fry warm salad very similar to my sambharo recipe and it works great as a sandwich filler.
- 1 cup white Cabbage -chopped finely
- 1 large carrot – chopped in slices or grated
- 1 grated pink lady apple
- 1 grated conference pear
- 1 cup grated raw papaya
- 8-10 small hot green chilies sliced into 2
- 1 tbls sunflower oil (or any cooking oil)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbls lemon
1. Prepare all your vegetables. Heat oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds stop popping, add the cabbage, carrots and chilies and the rest of the chopped vegetables.
2. Stir fry the vegetables. Add the salt and turmeric. Keep stirring the vegetable. The vegetables should be kept crunchy and not too soft – keep them almost el dante. The salad should be dry and cooked like a stir fry so don’t cook it with the lid on.
3. Finally add some lemon juice and transfer the salad to a serving dish.
4. As a recently converted vegan,t his sandwich filling was perfect for me. You can serve this salad hot or cold as a side dish to an Indian meal. You can also use this to fill your sandwiches. I usually use it cold and it doesn’t need any extra condiments or fillings.
5. You can also use the salad as a topping on any savoury biscuits.
Do try this quick and easy stir fry warm salad which is classed as vegetarian and vegan.