I am in love with these…………
Ready made pastry has made cooking so much easier and creative too. so for Valentine’s Day, I decided to create heart shaped vegetarian pastries using a very simple Samosa filling. These are easy to make and a great favourite with children and adults. Most ready made pastry is vegan too ( but check to be sure) so this recipe is suitable for vegans too.
Note: For using any ready made pastry whether it is shortcrust pastry or puff pastry – make sure you read the instructions on the packet. If left out too long, it becomes too soft and difficult to handle.
Ingredients for making 10 heart shaped Vegetable pasties :
- 4 small carrots
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 small red onions
- 1 packet 500 gms shortcrust pastry
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 green chili cut as finely as possible
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced using a garlic press
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Bunch of fresh coriander
1. The filling can be cooked in a saucepan on the stove or microwaved too depending on your choice. For this recipe I used the microwave. Chop the carrots and potatoes into small cubes, wash them and drain the water. Add the onions and peas to the potatoes and peas. Add all the spices to the mixture and transfer them to a microwave dish. Cook the mixture covered on high 1000 watts – checking and stirring every 4 minutes until the carrots and potatoes have cooked. Once the vegetables have cooked, add the lemon juice and coriander allow the mixture to cool. The cooking should take less than 12 minutes.
2.. Turn on the oven to 170 degrees (325 degrees F gas mark 3).
3.. Take a golf ball size of shortcrust pastry and roll it in a large but thinly rolled out circle. Take a heart shaped cookie cutter and cut two heart shapes.
4. Use the remaining dough from the rolled out circle to line the inside of the pastry cutter. Use one heart shape for the bottom of the pasty and fill the pasty with the vegetable filling and cover the top with the second heart shape. The dough will be lovely and soft so just use it to smooth the edges.
5. Finish making all the pasties and arrange them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper which comes with the pastry.
6. Prick each pasty with the point of a knife to allow for any hot air build-up to escape without cracking the pasty. Cook the Vegetable pasties at 170 degrees (325 degrees F Gas mark 3) for 15 minutes. Serve these heart shaped vegetable pasties hot with any dip.
So what do you think of these?
Other recipes using ready made pastry can also be found in this blog one of which is the following:
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.