You can’t buy Happiness but you can buy ice cream.
Passion fruit and mango are my two favourite fruits so I couldn’t resist buying them. I usually just add them to a fruit salad but this week I saw a recipe for Knickerbocker glory in my favourite Supermarket’s magazine. I didn’t have all the ingredients for the Knickerbocker glory but it gave me the idea of making an ice cream sundae.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 sachet (6.5gm) of Vege-Gel
- 3 fresh passion fruits
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 100 mls fresh mango juice
- 300mls double cream
- 1 tbls icing sugar
- 2-3 drops of vanilla essence
- 250 gms vanilla icecream
- 4 wafer biscuits or something similar
- Small bar of milk chocolate (I used Galaxy)
1. Add the sachet of vege gel to 200 mls of cold water and stir until completely dissolved.
2. Cut the passion fruits in half and scoop out the juice and seeds into a bowl. Add the mango juice to this to make it to 200 mls of juice.
3. Add 100 mls of the juice mixture to the gelatin and heat the mixture until it boils. Add this boiled mixture to the remaining 100 mls of juice
4. Pour this mixture into 4 glasses and keep them in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
5. Whilst the jelly is setting, prepare the mangoes by slicing and cutting them into small cubes. (Note: you can add any other fruit as well if you wish).
6. Add the icing sugar to the double cream and whip it in the food processor until it is lovely and thick.
7. Once the jelly is ready, top the jelly with a layer of ice cream, then mangoes and cream at the top. (Note: If you have an icing bag, you can make pretty swirls using a piping bag).
8. To serve the passion fruit and ice cream sundae – grate some chocolate on the cream and add a wafer biscuit.
9. To make a create a difference and get a “ a wow factor” substitute the mangoes for gulab jambu (an Indian sweet).
Have you read this poem about the ice cream diet?