I am in love with these…………
Do you remember me posting a recipe for vegetable pasties in February? Well the recipe for the filling for these heart shaped ones is exactly the same but made in a different shape. I made these when I was in one of my creative moods which I must say happens once in a while.
Ingredients for making 10 heart shaped Vegetable pasties :
- 4 small carrots
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 small red onions
- 1 packet 500 gms shortcrust pastry
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 green chilli cut as finely as possible
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced using a garlic press
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Bunch of fresh coriander
1. Chop the carrots and potatoes into small cubes, wash them and drain the water. Add the onions and peas to the potatoes and peas. Add all the spices to the mixture and transfer them to a microwave dish. Cook the mixture covered on high 1000 watts – checking and stirring every 4 minutes until the carrots and potatoes have cooked. Once the vegetables have cooked, add the lemon juice and allow the mixture to cool. We decided we would be healthy and not add any oil or butter to cook the filling. The cooking should take less than 12 minutes.
2. Once the filling is cool, add some fresh coriander and mix.
3. Switch the oven to 170 degrees (325 degrees F gas mark 3).
4.. Take a golf ball size of shortcrust pastry and roll it in a large but thinly rolled out circle. Take a heart shaped cookie cutter and cut two heart shapes.
5. Use the remaining dough from the rolled out circle to line the inside of the pastry cutter. Use one heart shape for the bottom of the pasty and fill the pasty with the vegetable filling and cover the top with the second heart shape. The dough will be lovely and soft so just use it to smooth the edges.
6. Finish making all the pasties and arrange them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
7. Prick each pasty with the point of a knife to allow for any hot air build-up to escape without cracking the pasty. Cook the Vegetable pasties at 170 degrees (325 degrees F Gas mark 3) for 15 minutes. Serve these heart shaped vegetable pasties hot with any dip.
So what do you think of these?
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.