Sandwiches and Wraps seem to have become the norm for quick snacks all over the world but more so in the UK. I have never been a fan of sandwiches especially if they are bland or cold. In fact, I hate them so much that I would rather starve then buy ready made sandwiches. I like to warm my sandwiches either in a sandwich toaster or a panini maker. Last week, I didn’t have access to either of these. So how did I cope? Here’s how I made some tasty and Spicy Vegetarian Tortilla Wraps for lunch:
Ingredients to serve lunch for 3 people:
- 3 cups of a mixture of frozen vegetables. ( I used peppers, sweetcorn, peas, carrots and broccoli)
- 1 medium sized potato
- 1 medium sized Onion
- 2 fresh green chillies
- small piece of fresh ginger
- very small bunch coriander
- half a teaspoon salt
- half a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6-8 wraps
- 2 tablespoons of oil ( I used spray sunflower oil as the healthy option)
1. Wash and cut the potatoes and onions into tiny cubes and add them to the frozen vegetables.
2. Finely chop the green chillies and grate the ginger and add to the vegetables.
3. Add all the spices like salt, turmeric to the to the vegetables. As I am trying to be healthy, I do not do any tempering to the mixture. If you like, you can heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add mustard seeds to the oil and then add the vegetables to the oil. However you won’t miss the oil as you are adding all the lovely spices and flavours to the vegetables. Mix well and cook them in the microwave for 5 minutes. Stir and cook again for 5 minutes.
4. The vegetables should be cooked by now. Add the coriander and lemon to the vegetables and stir.
5. The mixture should be fairly dry.
6. Warm the wraps on a hot griddle for about 20 seconds on each side.
7. Spray some oil on one side of the wrap and turn it over.
8. Add the vegetable mixture to the wraps, roll them and lay them side by side in a greased baking tray. Warming the wraps makes it easier to roll the wraps.
10. Cook this in the oven for 10 -12 minutes at 190 Degrees Centigrade. By covering them with a damp tea towel, the wraps stay lovely and soft. If you like crispy wraps, you can grill them for a minute or two after you remove them from the oven.
11. Cut the Spicy Vegetarian Tortilla Wraps into two or three pieces and serve them with any dip. You can serve Spicy Vegetarian Tortilla Wraps with a salad or crisps as well.
It’s lovely to eat these hot and Spicy Vegetarian Tortilla Wraps at any snack time.
Do try out these recipes using tortillas from my blog:
- Tortilla wraps and samosas
- Spicy Vegetarian tortilla wraps
- Tortilla wraps with Quinoa, vegetables and nuts
- Quick falafel, halloumi and vegetable wraps
- Tortilla pizza
- Hot and spicy tortilla sandwiches
- Vegan wraps with potato and cheese
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips? LIKE us on facebook and Follow us on Twitter. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.