I had heard a lot about Goji berries recently as one of the “super foods” but never cooked with them so it was a bit of a challenge coming up with a recipe my family would enjoy. I like the taste of the goji berries and would have happily eaten them raw or just added them to my cereal but I wanted to create a cereal like bar I could give as healthy Easter presents to my kids and also eat them on the days I skipped breakfast.
So what Is a Goji Berry?
The goji berry, also called the wolfberry and comes from a shrub that’s native to China. They are rich in nutrients but its not clear whether goji berries are better than other types of berries.More information about the goji berry is here .
I made these bars which are full of goji berries, nuts and cereals. I also used jaggery ( a kind of a brown sugar) to sweeten them. The kids loved them and they got eaten in no time
- 1 cup strong wheat flour (I used chappati flour)
- 3 tbls melted butter
- 1 tbls Olive oil
- ½ cup goji berries
- ¼ cup jaggery (You can add more if you have a sweet tooth)
- ½ cup Nutty cereal
- 2-3 tbls milk
- ½ bar (75gms) cooking chocolate for the topping (You can use more if you like)
- 5-6 Chopped almonds for garnishing
1. Into a microwave proof dish, transfer the flour, melted butter, olive oil, jaggery, cereal and gojiberries. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes (at 750 watts). Add the milk and stir. Cook again for 2 minutes.
2. After 4 minutes, it should start to feel nice and moist. If it feels dry, add another spoonful of milk and cook for a minute.
3. Transfer the mixture to a tray and press it down flat using the back of a spoon. Keep this mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes to cool.
4. Melt the cooking chocolate as per the instructions on the packet and layer it over the mixture. Top the chocolate with some finely chopped almonds and allow the chocolate to cool in the fridge for 30-40 minutes.
5. Cut the bars into squares and enjoy the Nuts and goji bars.
You may also wish to check the following snack recipes:
- Muesli and Granola bars
- Nuts and Muesli Cereal Balls
- Nutty Energy ladoos/ balls with Dates
- Nuts, dates and Omega 4 Seed mix rolls
- Mixed Nuts Barfi with Dates
- Goji Berry Cereal Bars
- Nutty flapjacks with mixed nuts, mixed seeds and citrus flavoured honey
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.