kobi bateta nu shak?
Cabbage and potato is a very traditional Gujarati curry eaten in most Indian homes. It’s quick and easy to make and uses the least amount of spices. My mum used to make it with fresh tomatoes but I used pasatta.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 4 cups of finely shredded white cabbage
- 3-4 sweet thai chillies
- 4-5 baby new potatoes
- 2-3 baby onions
- bunch of coriander
- ½ cup pasatta
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dhana jiru (mixture of cumin and coriander powder)
- 1 tbp lemon juice
- 1 tsp splenda or jaggery
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbs oil (I used sunflower oil)
1. Shred the cabbage using a V slicer and peel and slice the potatoes into juliennes. Cut the sweet thai chillies into slices. Peel the onions but leave them whole.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds. Once they stop popping, add in the cabbage leaves, potatoes, onions and the thai sweet chillies. Also add the salt, turmeric, chili powder and the dhana jiru. Cover and allow to cook for 7-8 minutes. The green cabbage does not contain as much moisture and the curry remains fairly dry and cooks almost like a stir fry.
3. Add the pasatta, and allow it to cook. Add the lemon juice and splenda or jaggery. Mix well and cook for a further 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander and serve the cabbage potato and sweet thai chillies cury hot with fresh chappatis
Do share your quick and easy recipes.