This is often my weekend lunch dish which is a very healthy and quick to make to serve either with a simple potato curry or just raita. Sometimes we make just tuver dall spicy rice called khichedi and some times we make it using the green split moon dall.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- ½ cup of Toor/Tuver Dall (pigeon peas dall)
- ½ cup of Basmati Rice
- ¼ cup quinoa with bulger wheat mixture
- ¼ cup Wholesome Brown Basmati & Wild Rice
- 2-3 tablespoons of peas
- 2 small green chillies – chopped lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 inch of cinnamon stick
1. Mix the all the rice, quinoa and toor dall and wash it well.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon and allow them to pop and get a bit dark in colour.
3. Add in one cup of water and cover the saucepan.
4.. Remove most of the water from the washed rice (khichedi) mixture and add it to the tempered water. Add the salt, turmeric, curry leaves and the green peas. Stir the mixture.
5. Add one more cup of water and cover the dish and allow to cook on medium for 10-12 minutes.
6. Check to see if the lentils have softened as that takes the longest to cook. If not lightly fluff up the khichedi using a fork and add half a cup of water to the khichedi and cook it again for a further 10 minutes.
7. Once the lentils have softened, it’s ready to be served hot.
Do you have any favourite rice recipes?