This is often my weekend lunch dish which is a very healthy and quick to make to serve either with a simple potato curry or just raita. Sometimes we make just tuver dall spicy rice called khichedi and some times we make it using the green split moon dall.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- ½ cup of Toor/Tuver Dall (pigeon peas dall)
- ½ cup of Basmati Rice
- ¼ cup quinoa with bulger wheat mixture
- ¼ cup Wholesome Brown Basmati & Wild Rice
- 2-3 tablespoons of peas
- 2 small green chillies – chopped lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 inch of cinnamon stick
1. Mix the all the rice, quinoa and toor dall and wash it well.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon and allow them to pop and get a bit dark in colour.
3. Add in one cup of water and cover the saucepan.
4.. Remove most of the water from the washed rice (khichedi) mixture and add it to the tempered water. Add the salt, turmeric, curry leaves and the green peas. Stir the mixture.
5. Add one more cup of water and cover the dish and allow to cook on medium for 10-12 minutes.
6. Check to see if the lentils have softened as that takes the longest to cook. If not lightly fluff up the khichedi using a fork and add half a cup of water to the khichedi and cook it again for a further 10 minutes.
7. Once the lentils have softened, it’s ready to be served hot. This khichedi tastes best with this simple but comforting peas and potato curry
Do you have any favourite rice recipes?
More easy to make pilaf and khichedi recipes from my blog are listed below:
- Khichedi or Rice, lentils and mixed vegetable rice
- Vaghareli Khichedi (Spicy lentils and rice) Kedgeree
- When fasting – Sweet Potato khichedi ( sweet potato stir fry)
- Savoury Rice with lentils and peas (Gujarati toor dall khichedi)
- Quinoa, Bulger, Couscous with Mixed Vegetables and nuts pilaf
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.