Pav Bhaji is a popular street food where the a mixture of vegetables are cooked using a mixture of spices. The vegetables are are steamed and then tempered with spices, mashed and served with soft buttered bread rolls. This is a great dish to serve with a salad when you are entertaining but don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen. With the Instant Pot, this is a very quick dish to make. The Instant Pot (IP) is a pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. rice cooker, sauté/browning, yoghurt maker and steamer.
If you do not have an Instant Pot, my recipe for pau bhaji is here
- 6 cups of selection of vegetables. I used cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, carrots, peas, potatoes. Chop the potatoes, peppers and carrots in small cubes. Make sure the cauliflower and broccoli are in small florets.
- 2 cups of passata
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chilies
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 tablespoon of blended ginger, garlic and green chillies mixture
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dhana jiru (mixture of coriander and cumin powders)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon of jaggery (or you can use sugar or any artificial sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon lemon
- small bunch of coriander for garnishing
1. Heat the Instant Pot (IP) on saute mode and add the oil. Once he oil heats, add the cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds, the dry red chilies and the cloves to the oil. Once the cumin start to brown and the chilies and cloves pop, add in all the vegetables. Mix well so that the oil coats the vegetables..
2. Add the ginger garlic and chilly mixture to the vegetables and also add salt, turmeric, dhana jiru, garam masala, the jaggery, lemon juice .
3. Add the passata and also add 3 cups of water to the mixture.
4. Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to the steam setting and adjust it to 10 minutes. Once the vegetables have steamed, allow the Instant pot to release the pressure normally. This usually takes 10 minutes.
5. Once you open the lid, use a potato masher to blend the vegetables.
6. Your pau bhaji is ready to serve. Some people add ready made pav bhaji masala to their mixture but I don’t as I am never too sure how good they are.
7. Toast your rolls in butter and serve them hot with pau bhaji and finely chopped onions and green chilies.
Every family has a version of pav bhaji recipe so do share your recipes.
Here are more Street food recipes for you to try out:
- Vegan wraps with potato and cheese filling
- Somasa Chaat with Yogurt – Indian Snack Food
- Potato Pies with Homemade Mango Chutney
- Pav Bhaji (Spicy blend of vegetables served with bread)
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.