Puri/poori is often Sunday breakfast for me as it’s so quick to make. It’s a dish my mum managed to make quickly when we had unexpected guests. Most of you know that for us Indians Guest is god and we don’t like to send them home hungry!! Puri/poori comes to the rescue- Picnics, moving house etc….puri/poori is always a life saver when we are hungry. Yet, most main stream restaurants don’t serve them.
We often have a puri/poori making class and this is the recipe we followed in class. Everyone asks how to get the perfect puri/poori. I know I still get upset if my puris/pooris don’t puff up. Over the years, I have realised that the dough has made perfectly and the oil has to be the right temperature to get the perfect puris/pooris.
Watch this video to get the perfect puri.
Check out photos of one of the learners. Her puris/pooris may not be round but they all puffed up!! And I know that with practice she will get there.
Contact me on email@example.com if you would like to join one of my vegetarian and vegan cookery classes.
One of the questions I was asked in class was whether they could add any other ingredients to the puri/poori. The answer was yes. Here is the list of various Poori/puri recipes in my blog. Some are easy to make and some need a bit more practice. Some are soft and some are crispy.
- Puris or Pooris Deep fried Indian Bread – One of the oldest recipes in a Gujarati home.
2. Pooris/puris with spinach – This is one way of including spinach in your diet.
3. Spicy Stuffed Puri (Besan wali puri)– Enjoy these unusally tasty puris for lunch or dinner.
4. Puris/Pooris with sesame seeds Add sesame seeds to your pooris to give it a crunch.
5.Jeera puris – Add roasted cumin to add a new flavour to your puris.
6. Farsi Pooris – Make these rich farsi pooris to eat as a snack anytime.
7. Satpadi poori (seven layered pooris) – Enjoy these crispy layered pooris with a cup of tea.
8. Sev Puri Poori – A Savoury Indian Snack – These puris are perfect to use when making crispy bhel.
9. Farari puris using Amaranth & Morio seeds Flour (Gluten free Indian bread)
So which puris do you think are my favourite? Watch out for my recipe for stuffed puris.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook and Follow us on Twitter. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.