My son stayed with my sister in law for a few weeks and he kept telling me about these delicious quesadillas his aunt makes and could I ask her for the recipe? So finally, I managed to get the recipe from my sister in law and made the quesadillas.
What is a quesadilla?
Its a Mexican dish where you can add various fillings between two whole tortillas or a fold a single tortilla into half. Quesadillas can be filled with savoury ingredients such as beans spices and vegetables. Mine have an Indian twist.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
8 tortilla wraps
2 tbls sunflower oil
2 cans ( 2X240 grams) of red kidney beans
1 cup of pasatta
2 red pepper chopped in cubes
2-3 cloves of garlic – minced using a garlic press
1 onion – chopped finely
2-3 fresh green chillies – chopped finely(Optional)
small bunch of coriander- chopped finely
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups -grated cheddar cheese
1. Drain the water from the canned kidney beans and wash several times with cold water. Add 5 cups of water to the kidney beans and put these to heat until boiling. Once boiled, discard the water and transfer the beans to a bowl.
2. Heat the oil and add in the onions and garlic. Stir these in with salt and pepper. Add the pasata and kidney beans and allow to cook. Keep stirring and pressing the beans with a wooden spoon until the beans looks mashed and the mixture looks fairly dry.
To prepare the Quesadillas:
3. Lightly grease a frying pan and transfer a tortilla wrap on it. Spread the beans mixture on half the tortilla and top that with grated cheese.
4. Fold the tortilla in half and cook both the sides until golden brown.
What fillings do you like in your quessadillas? We have tried some with mixed vegetables and onions too and they were lovely.
You may wish to try the following recipes from my blog using tortillas:
- Mexican Enchiladas
- Tortilla Pizza
- Hot and Spicy Tortilla Sandwiches
- Tortilla wraps with Quinoa, vegetables and nuts
- Bombay Sandwich Recipe using Corn Tortillas
- Spicy Vegetarian Tortilla Wraps – A healthy and quick snack idea
- Quick falafel, halloumi and vegetable wraps
- Vegan wraps with potato and cheese
- Vegetarian Enchiladas with homemade Enchilada sauce
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.