Enchiladas are really easy to assemble and the filling can be adapted to include any of your favourite fillings. I was first introduced to enchiladas by my sister who makes it regularly with authentic Mexican fillings. For this recipe, I used sweetcorn and mixed peppers as I was in a hurry and wanted to eat something spicy when I got home from work. They were so tasty that I ended up taking the left overs for lunch.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 gloves of minced garlic
- 1 tsp of finely grated ginger
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 4 sweet peppers in a variety of colours plus 2 for garnishing
- 1 tomato
- 4 hot green chillies
- 2 cups sweetcorn
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ tsp oregano
- bunch of chopped coriander
- cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups pasatta sauce
- 2-3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 6 corn tortillas
- oregano for garnishing (you can even use coriander)
First prepare the filling:
1. Chop the onions, tomatoes and peppers as finely as you can. Chop the green chillies too.
2. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. Once they go dark brown, add the onions, garlic and ginger and allow to cook until the onions are soft.
3. Add in the peppers, tomatoes, coriander, salt, pepper and ground cumin and stir fry this for 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the lemon juice, oregano and basil and passata and allow this to simmer for 10 minutes.
To assemble the tortilla:
5. Prepare a baking tray by greasing it with some olive oil. Toast the tortillas for a few seconds on each side and brush some olive oil on one side.
6. On the side without the olive oil add some of the filling in the centre of the tortilla.
7. Wrap the tortilla from both sides and lay it in the baking tray with the sides down. Finish filling all the tortillas and arrange them on a baking tray.
8. Any filling left over can be spread over the tortillas.
9. Cover the dish with foil and cook at 170 C ( 325 F or Gas Mark 3) for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and sprinkle some cheese and cook for 2-3 minutes just enough to soften the cheese.
10. Garnish the enchiladas with sweet peppers and oregano and serve hot
How do you serve your enchiladas?