I felt so good creating this Mixed Veg and Pasta with Cashews recipe after watching the culinary film One Hundred-Foot Journey. Usually I don’t use too many spices when cooking pasta but today I thought I would give it a try and see how it turns out. The pasta was a big hit with my family.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 2 cups of Penne Pasta
- 2 cups of frusilli pasta
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables I I used peas, sweetcorn, carrots and french beans
- 2-3 small sliced onions
- 2cups pasatta
- 2 -3 tblsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dhana jiru (mixture of coriander and cumin powder)
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 2-3 cloves of grated garlic
- 1-2 fresh sliced green chillies
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1. Heat 2 tbls the oil and add the cumin seeds until they brown. Add all the mixed vegetables to the oil and add the spices – salt, turmeric, dhana jiru and chillies Save a pinch of each spice to add to the onions). Stir fry until the vegetables soften and add the passata.
2. In a separate saucepan heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and add the sliced onions. Add a pinch of turmeric, salt, chilli powder and dhana jeeru to the onions. Add the teaspoon of sugar to the onions and allow these to soften and caramelize at a very low heat.
So what spices do you like to add to your pasta?