I felt so good creating this Mixed Veg and Pasta with Cashews recipe after watching the culinary film One Hundred-Foot Journey. Usually I don’t use too many spices when cooking pasta but today I thought I would give it a try and see how it turns out. The pasta was a big hit with my family.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 2 cups of Penne Pasta
- 2 cups of frusilli pasta
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables I I used peas, sweetcorn, carrots and french beans
- 2-3 small sliced onions
- 2cups pasatta
- 2 -3 tblsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dhana jiru (mixture of coriander and cumin powder)
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 2-3 cloves of grated garlic
- 1-2 fresh sliced green chillies
- ½ cup cashews
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese or Vegan cheese.
1. Heat 2 tbls the oil and add the cumin seeds until they brown. Add all the mixed vegetables to the oil and add the spices – salt, turmeric, dhana jiru and chillies Save a pinch of each spice to add to the onions). Stir fry until the vegetables soften and add the passata.
2. In a separate saucepan heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and add the sliced onions. Add a pinch of turmeric, salt, chilli powder and dhana jeeru to the onions. Add the teaspoon of sugar to the onions and allow these to soften and caramelize at a very low heat.
3. In a large saucepan, heat plenty of water and add the pasta to boil. Once boiled, strain the water and transfer the pasta to a baking tray.
4. Transfer the mixed vegetables over the pasta and add the cashews on the top.
5. Top this with the grated cheese and cover with aluminium foil and bake in the oven at 180°C ( 350°F or Gas mark 4) for 10 minutes.
6. Serve topped with sliced green chillies and the caramelised onions.
So what spices do you like to add to your pasta?
I do make quite a few pasta dishes and some of my recipes are listed below:
- Balti pasta
- Penne pasta Bake with tomato and béchamel sauce
- Fusili pasta with vegetables cooked in Instant Pot
- Penne pasta bake
- Pasta arrabiatta
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.