Who doesn’t love the potato salad served as a side at home or in restaurants? We all tend to have huge helpings at the eat as much as you like buffets!! However, a lot of them have mayonnaise and can taste a bit eggy. This simple and versatile recipe is easy can be made vegan by swapping the yogurt. This salad can be made and kept ready in the fridge to serve as a side with any dish.
Ingredients for 6 servings
- 6 small boiled potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small onion
- 2 small chilies
- ½ cup plain yogurt (vegans can use soya yogurt)
- ½ tsp of dhana jeeru ( coriander and cumin powder)
- few sprigs of herbs – coriander or rosemary or parsley (whatever is available)
- Chop the boiled potatoes in chunks and transfer to a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Grate the onion and cut the chilies into small slices and add to the boiled potatoes.
3. In a second mixing bowl, add the yogurt and the remaining slices. Save some herbs for garnishing, Mix the yogurt and taste. Season to your taste.
4. Add the yogurt mixture to the boiled potatoes and mix. Add more yogurt if needed.
5. Garnish and serve cold with any dish.
Vegan version with plain soya version tasted great too. The soya yogurt is thinner but it still makes a lovely vegan potato salad.
6. If you do have any leftover potato salad, enjoy it as a chaat topped with some crispy sev noodles and tamarind sauce. I used these
More side dishes using yogurt on my blog are:
- Carrot and Green Chilies Salad/Pickle with Mustard (Raita gajar marcha)
- Cucumber carrot and green chilies raita
- Spicy Yogurt Dip/Raita with carrots and fresh mint
- Apple and Carrot Raita
- Lemon Cucumber Raita
- Pomegranate raita
- Yogurt and mint dip
Other Chaat ideas from my blog are:
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.