Muthias are steamed spiced dumplings made with vegetables and a mixture of flours. The most common vegetables used are fenugreek, spinach, cabbage or marrow. You can also use left over rice instead of the vegetables. Muthia or Indian Dumplings made with millet wheat and chickpea flour are a quick Gujarati snack. Another dish not usually available in Indian restaurants.
Ingredients (serves 4-6 people):
- 150 gms any mixed greens (fenugreek, dill etc)
- 150 gms grated radish
- 150 gms grated white cabbage
- 140 wheat flour
- 100 grams coarse corn flour
- 100 grams chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soda bicarbonate
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed green chilies
- Half teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Half cup yoghurt
- 2 to 3 tablespoon sesame seeds
- A handful of finely chopped coriander
1. Sieve the three flours and add the greens, radish and cabbage to the flour. Add the salt, turmeric, crushed ginger, garlic , green chillies, the sesame seeds, soda bicarbonate and a tablespoon of sesame seeds. Add 3 tablespoonfuls of oil. Mix together and add the yoghurt.
2. If the mixture still needs binding, using some warm water, knead the flour and shape it into small longish rolls.
5. Steam the Muthia for 45 minutes in a pressure cooker. If using a steamer -it may take a little longer in a steamer. Once cooked, remove the dumplings and allow to cool.
6. Slice the dumpling into thick chunks.
7. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil and add in sesame seeds and once they stop popping, add in the Muthias. Allow these to cook until the muthias get very lightly browned. Don’t stir them too often or too roughly or the muthias will crumble.
8. Serve them with coconut chutney or any chutney of your choice.
How do you serve your muthias?
Other muthia recipes on my blog are:
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.